Diego Costa has not played for 98 days as he looks for a way out of Stamford Bridge — and more specifically a return to the Spanish capital.
The Chelsea striker has been told he has not future at Chelsea under Antonio Conte
Reports say the Rojiblancos have tabled a “take-it-or-leave-it” bid of up to £57million — which would consist of £48m up front, plus £9m in add-ons.
They were unable to secure his services in the summer due to their Fifa-imposed transfer ban.
Atletico will not increase their offer for a player they are aware is surplus to requirements at his current club.
— The Sun Football ⚽ (@TheSunFootball) September 18, 2017
It had been reported in Spain that Costa would be in attendance for the grand unveiling of the new Wanda Metropolitano Stadium on Saturday evening.
However, they turned out to be false.
Should Chelsea accept the bid, it would easily surpass the £35m they paid Porto for Radamel Falcao in 2011 as the club’s most-expensive player ever.
Costa is desperate to leave to give himself any chance of making Spain‘s Word Cup squad.
In the summer, Blues boss Antonio Conte was reported to have told the striker via a text message that he does not feature in his plans.
Diego Costa wants a return to Atletico Madrid, where he enjoyed his football.